Associate ProfessorHis research training is in evolutionary ecology and population biology, with emphasis on life history evolution along with the dynamics of parental care, mate choice, and hybridization.
Global Indigenous Nations Studies and Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Global Indigenous Nations Studies and Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
In GINS his research focuses on the relationship between Indigenous Knowledge and Western Science, especially Ecology and Evolution. He is the author of the book Indigenous Knowledge, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Routledge Press (2010) as well as numerous articles that deal with these topics. In GINS he advises students who are interested in Environmental Issues, including Natural Resource Management, and Environmental Justice.
Courses developed for this project
Environmental Justice II
Native and Western Views of Nature
Natural Resource Management from an Indigenous Perspective
Research and Publications: Major published work
1. Pierotti, R., D. G. Ainley, T. J. Lewis, and M.C. Coulter. 1977. The birth of a California sea lion on Southeast Farallon Island.
California Fish and Game 63:64‑65.
2. Pierotti, R. 1980. Spite and altruism in gulls. American Naturalist 115:290‑300.
3. Pierotti, R. and D. Pierotti. 1980. Effects of cold climate on the evolution of reproductive behavior in pinnipeds. Evolution
4. Pierotti, R. 1981. Male and female parental roles in the western gull under different environmental conditions. Auk 98:532‑549.
5. Pierotti, R. 1982. Habitat selection and its effect on reproductive output in the herring gull in Newfoundland. Ecology
6. Pierotti, R. 1982. Spite, altruism, and semantics. American Naturalist 119:116‑120.
7. Pierotti, R. 1983. Gull‑puffin interactions. Biological Conservation 26:1‑14.
8. Pierotti, R. and D. Pierotti. 1983. Costs of thermoregulation in adult pinnipeds. Evolution 37:1087‑1091.
9. Annett, C.A. and R. Pierotti. 1984. Laboratory and field investigations of the foraging behavior of the leather-seastar,
Dermasterias imbricata, in Monterey Bay, Calif. Marine Ecology Progress Series 14:197‑206.
10. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Bellrose. 1986. Proximate causation and the third chick disadvantage in gulls. Auk 103:401‑407.
11. Pierotti, R. 1986. Modeling Nature. Condor 88:544‑546
12. Pierotti, R. and E.C. Murphy. 1987. Intergenerational conflicts in gulls. Animal Behaviour 35:435‑444.
13. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 1987. Reproductive consequences of specialization and switching in an ecological generalist. pp.
417‑442 In Foraging Behavior, A.C. Kamil, J.R. Krebs,and H.R. Pulliam, eds. Plenum Press, N.Y.
14. Pierotti, R. 1987a. Isolating mechanisms in seabirds. Evolution 41:559‑570.
15. Pierotti, R. 1987b. Behavioral consequences of habitat selection in the herring gull. Studies in Avian Biology 10:119‑128.
16. Pierotti, R. 1987c. Evolution as entropy. Condor 89:679‑683.
17. Rothstein, S.I. and R. Pierotti. 1988. Distinctions among reciprocal altruism and kin selection, and a model for the initial
evolution of helping behavior. Ethology and Sociobiology 9:189‑210.
18. Pierotti, R. 1988a. Associations between marine birds and marine mammals in the Northwest Atlantic. pp. 31‑58 In Seabirds
and Other Marine Vertebrates: commensalism, competition, and predation. J. Burger, ed. Columbia Univ. Press.
19. Pierotti, R. 1988b. Interactions between gulls and otariid pinnipeds: competition, commensalism, and cooperation. pp 213‑239
in Seabirds and other Marine Vertebrates: commensalism, competition, and predation. J. Burger, ed. Columbia University Press.
20. Pierotti, R., D. Brunton, and E.C. Murphy. 1988. Parent‑offspring and sibling‑sibling recognition in gulls. Animal Behaviour
21. Rothstein, S.I. and R. Pierotti. 1989. Definitions and the genetic basis of beneficent behavior. Ethology and Sociobiology
22. Pierotti, R. 1989a. Intergenerational conflicts in species of birds with precocial offspring. Proc. XIX International Ornithological
23. Pierotti, R. 1989b. Reproductive success and individual variation. Condor 91:748‑751.
24. Annett, C.A. and R. Pierotti. 1989. Chick hatching as a trigger for dietary switches in Western Gulls. Colonial Waterbirds
25. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 1990. Diet and reproductive performance in seabirds. Bioscience 40:568‑574.
26. Schneider, D., R. Pierotti, and W. Threlfall. 1990. Alcid patchiness and flight direction near colonies in Witless Bay,
Newfoundland. Studies in Avian Biology 14:23‑35.
27. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 1991. Diet choice in the herring gull: effects of constraints imposed by reproduction and ecology.
28. Pierotti, R. 1991. Adoption vs. infanticide: an intergenerational conflict in birds and mammals. American Naturalist
29. Pierotti, R. 1991. Ravens in winter. Condor 93:788‑790.
30. Pierotti, R. 1991. Individual variation and the costs of reproduction. Condor 93:1039‑1040.
31. McNeil, R. P., P. Drapeau and R. Pierotti. 1993. Nocturnality in colonial waterbirds: occurrence and special adaptations.
Current Ornithology 10:187‑246.
32. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 1993. Hybridization and male parental care in birds. Condor 95:670‑679.
33. Pierotti, R. 1993. Larid diets and population biology. Colonial Waterbirds 16:252‑255.
34. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 1994. Patterns of aggression in gulls: asymmetries and tactics in different roles. Condor
35. Pierotti, R. and T.P. Good. 1994. Herring Gull (Larus argentatus). In The Birds of North America, #124. (A. Poole and F. Gill,
eds.). Philadelphia: The Academy of Natural Sciences; Wash. D.C.: American Ornithologist's Union.
36. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 1995. Western Gull (Larus occidentalis). In The Birds of North America, (A. Poole and F. Gill,
eds.) Philadelphia: The Academy of Natural Sciences, Wash. D.C.: American Ornithologist's Union.
37. R. Pierotti. 1995. First residents and first nations. Forum for Applied Research and Public Policy 10:96-97
38. Pierotti, R., C.A. Annett, and J.L. Hand. 1996. Male and female perceptions of pair-bond dynamics: monogamy in the Western
Gull. pp. 261-275 In Feminism and Evolutionary Biology, P.A. Gowaty, ed. Chapman and Hall Press.
39. Pierotti, R. 1996. Recruiting Native Americans: adjusting for cultural differences. Fisheries (Publication of American Fisheries
Society) 21: 16-18.
40. Good, T.P., R. Pierotti, and J.C. Ellis. 1996. Influence of nesting habitat in the Western/Glaucous-winged Gull hybrid zone.
Pacific Seabirds 23:7-10.
41. Pierotti, R. and D.Wildcat. 1997a. The science of Ecology and Native American traditions. Winds of Change (Journal Amer.
Indian Science and Engineering Society) 12(4): 94-98.
42. Pierotti, R. and D.Wildcat. 1997b. Evolution, creation and Native American traditions. Winds of Change (Journal of AISES)
43. Kamler, J., D.S. Pennock, C. Welch, and R. Pierotti. 1998. Comparative morphology of Peromyscus maniculatus and P.
leucopus under conditions of allotopy and syntopy. American Midland Naturalist 140:170-179.
44. C.A. Annett and Pierotti, R. 1999. Longterm reproductive output and recruitment in western gulls: consequences of alternate
foraging tactics. Ecology 80:288-297.
45. C.A. Annett, R. Pierotti, and J.R. Baylis.1999. Male and female parental roles in a biparental cichlid, Tilapia mariae.
Environmental Biology of Fishes 54:283-293.
46. Pierotti, R. and D. Wildcat. 1999. Connectedness of Predators and Prey: Native Americans and fisheries management.
Fisheries (J. Amer. Fisheries Soc.) 24 (4): 22-23.
47. Schweiger E. W., R. Holt, R. Pierotti and J. Diffendorfer. 1999. The relative importance of small-scale and landscape-level
heterogeneity in structuring small mammal distributions. Pp. 175-207 in Landscape Ecology of Small Mammals. G. Barrett and J. Peles, editors. Springer-Verlag Press.
48. Pierotti, R. and D. Wildcat. 1999. Traditional knowledge, culturally based worldviews and Western science. Pp 192-199 in
Cultural and Spiritual Values of Biodiversity. D. Posey, ed. U.N. Environment Program Intermediate Technology Publications, London.
49. Pierotti, R. and D. Wildcat. 1999. Traditional ecological knowledge: synthesizing rationalism and belief. Pp 36-46 in
Conference proceedings: Bridging traditional ecological knowledge and ecosystem science. Northern Arizona University Press.
50. Wildcat, D. and R. Pierotti. 2000. Finding the indigenous in indigenous studies. Indigenous Nations Studies Journal 1:61-70.
51. Pierotti, R. and D. Wildcat. 2000. Traditional ecological knowledge: the third alternative. Ecological Applications
52. Schweiger, E.W., J. Diffendorfer, R. D. Holt, and R. Pierotti. 2000. Interaction between habitat fragmentation, plant and small
mammal succession in an old-field community. Ecological Monographs 70:383-400.
53. Good, T.P., J. Ellis, C.A. Annett and R. Pierotti. 2000. Bounded hybrid superiority: effects of mate choice, habitat selection,
and diet in an avian hybrid zone. Evolution 54:1774-1783.
54. Greenberg, M. and R. Pierotti. 2000. Conflict and resolution in primates—all too human. Science 290:1095-1096.
55. Pierotti, R. and C.A. Annett. 2001. The ecology of Western Gulls in habitats varying in degree of urban influence. pp. 307-329
In J. Marzluff and R. Donnelly, eds. Avian ecology and conservation in an urbanizing world. Kluwer Press, The Netherlands.
56. Pierotti, R. and D. Wildcat. 2001. Being native to this place. In American Indians in History, 1870-2000. Sterling Evans, ed.
Greenwood Publishing, Westport, CT.
57. Pierotti, R. 2002. Campus Morale Under Corporate Models: the University of Kansas. Workplace: A Journal for Academic
Labor 4.2. Special Issue: Financing the Corporate University.
58. Pierotti, R. 2002. Connected to the Land: Nature and Spirit in the Novels of Louis Owens. Indigenous Nations Studies Journal
59. Calhoon, J.A., D. Wildcat, C. Annett, R. Pierotti, and W. Griswold. 2003. Creating meaningful study abroad programs for
American Indian postsecondary students. Journal of American Indian Education 42:46-57.
60. Pierotti, R. 2004. Animal disease as an environmental factor. Encyclopedia of World Environmental History. S. Krech and C.
Merchant, eds. Berkshire, Publishing. New York, NY.
61. Pierotti, R. 2004. Herring Gull. Encyclopedia of World Environmental History. S. Krech and C. Merchant, eds. Berkshire,
Publishing. New York.
62. Pierotti, R. 2005. Hunting, Religious Restrictions and Implications. Pp. 391-400. Encyclopedia of Native American Religious
Practices. ABC CLIO Press, Broomfield, CO.
63. Pierotti. R. 2005. Religious Overtones in the writings of Louis Owens. Pp. 723-730. Encyclopedia of Native American
Religious Practices. ABC CLIO Press, Broomfield, CO.
64. Pierotti, R. 2005. Communities as social and ecological entities. in Being Native: Native Being. Oklahoma State University
Press, Durant, OK
65: Pierotti, R. 2006. The Role of Animal Disease in History. Encyclopedia of World History. Berkshire, Publishing. New York.
66. Pierotti, R.; Muklaeva, Y.; Ostanina M. 2008. Scientific exchange programs in environmental and social science: the
importance of indigenous perspectives. Pp. 172-177 In International Conference Proceedings: Biodiversity, ecological issues of Gorno Altai and its neighboring regions: present, past, and future (Биоразнообразие, проблемы экологии Горного Алтая и сопредельных регионов: ностоящее, прошлое, будущее). Gorno-Altaisk: RIO GASU.
67. Pierotti, R. 2010b. Indigenous Knowledge, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Routledge Press, New York, NY.
68. Pierotti, R. 2010a. Sustainability of natural populations: Lessons from Indigenous Knowledge. Human Dimensions of Wildlife 15: 274-287.
69. Pierotti, R. 2011 in press a. The World According to Is'a: Combining Empiricism and Spiritual Understanding in Indigenous Ways of Knowing. In Ethnobiology, E.A. Anderson and N.J. Turner, eds. Wiley-Blackwell Press, New York, NY.